Thursday, June 29, 2017

Switching from Windows to Linux (SteamOS)

I just built my first Small Form Factor PC to replace my old consoles.  I decided to install SteamOS on it to see what gaming on Linux is like, and for a more seamless console-like experience.  So far it has been rough going.

Most of my life I've used Windows PCs.  I have used Windows at work, school, and home since Windows version 3.1 (before Windows 95 they didn't use years in the version names).  One of the best things about Windows that I took for granted in recent years was that most computer peripherals connect seamlessly through "Plug-and-Play".  I never had to worry about whether or not something I bought was compatible with my operating system version, with the occasional exception between Windows upgrades.  Even then, making a device compatible simply meant running an installer from a CD rom disk or website to install the drivers which were always available.

Then I got a MacBook.  It was my first Mac since a PowerPC I had 1994 and now had to worry about compatibility again.  Since Macs are fairly prevalent now there is usually a Mac alternative to most Windows software or hardware drivers.

Now I have my first true Linux PC.  It's weird having to deal with incompatibility.  My Xbox controller dongle doesn't work with SteamOS.  Apparently there is some encryption in the dongle that prevents non-Windows PCs from using it.  It's crazy.  Now I need to replace my controllers with bluetooth equivalents.

I just hope Mac and Linux eventually puts Windows out of business.  This kind of stranglehold on the market and customer abuse (why would you ever need to encrypt a controller dongle?) is more reason why Microsoft needs to be put out of business.

No comments:

Post a Comment